Carlos Peña. (Photograph by Keith Allison, Creative Commons.)
WHAV brings listeners live coverage of Inaugural Induction Ceremonies of the Haverhill High School Athletic Hall of Fame, beginning about 5:30 p.m., Saturday, from the new Hunking School.
Hosted by Hector Longo, 97.9 WHAV plans behind-the-scenes interviews with inductees, school officials and organizers. The broadcast would not have been possible without the generous support of Trinity Emergency Medical Service, Flowers By Steve, Climate Zone and other sponsors.
Longo, a Haverhill resident for the last 18 years, is a freelance journalist with 25 years of local sports reporting experience.
The induction ceremony, beginning at 6 p.m., features John McCauley, master of ceremonies; welcome remarks from Haverhill Mayor James J. Fiorentini; an overview by Thomas E. O’Brien, director of athletics; and an address by James F. Scully, superintendent of schools.
Eleven individuals will be inducted. They are:
- Kate Abromovitch, 1989, Basketball, Golf, Softball
- Andy Alsup, 1997, Football, Track
- Matt Battistini, 1978, Football, Track
- Duane Carlisle, 1983, Football, Basketball, Track
- Dan Conway, 1976, Football
- Heidi Hannenian, 1989, Swimming
- Kerry (Horgan) DeVries, 1988, Field Hockey, Basketball, Softball
- John Ottaviani, 1957, Coach, Athletic Director
- Carlos Peña, 1995, Baseball
- Mary Schena, 1983, Cross Country, Track
- Kevin Woelfel, Coach
The Haverhill High School Hall of Fame was established this year to honor former students, coaches, and administrators who excelled in the field of athletics while attending HHS and for their accomplishments after high school. Its purpose is to perpetuate the memory of those persons who have brought distinction, honor, and excellence to Hillie athletics and familiarize the entire community and alumni with the high school’s rich athletic history.