Morning News Reporter/Anchor (Part time to start)
WHAV 97.9 FM, the only Haverhill-based news source, has an immediate opening for a part-time (2 to 3 hours each weekday) early morning, multimedia news reporter/anchor.
The successful candidate will collect news, write, produce and deliver three- to five-minute newscasts in a fast-paced environment, and post text versions to WHAV.net. WHAV’s emphasis is on breaking local news accurately, objectively and effectively.
- Exercise solid news judgment
- Dig up, gather and verify news through interviews, observations and research
- Develop and maintain news sources
- Quickly evaluate new situations and determine how to best obtain information
- Monitor news sources, including social media
- Write, edit and read newscasts in a timely fashion
- Post news and related graphics to station website
- Meet deadlines
- Prior reporting experience (Work on college TV, radio or newspapers and/or news websites and podcasts will be considered)
- Adept at determining and focusing on what listeners and readers care most about
- Ability to quickly interpret, write and voice reports on often complex subjects
- Deal effectively with simultaneous tasks
- Strong organizational skills
- Good voice, excellent pronunciation and strong delivery
- Computer literate:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Digital audio editing software (Adobe Audition, Audacity)
- Social media platforms (particularly Facebook)
- Adobe Photoshop a plus
- Working knowledge of broadcast equipment
- College degree
- Superb grammar, spelling
- AP Style proficiency
- Curious mind
- Attention to detail
- Quick learner
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
This is a unique opportunity to build a strong resume, grow with an entrepreneurial news operation and work in state-of-the-art facilities. If you believe you can fulfill some duties, but not others, please acknowledge.
To be considered, email cover letter, resume, audio/video newscast demo, news writing sample (URLs accepted) and compensation requirements to admin@WHAV.net. WHAV is an equal opportunity employer.
WHAV is the only Haverhill-based news source—providing hyperlocal news via FM 97.9, the Web at WHAV.net, internet radio and cable television. The WHAV call letters have been associated with local broadcasting since 1947. WHAV is today operated by Public Media of New England Inc., a non-profit corporation.
Make Money, Make a Difference
If you’re looking not only to make money, but also to make a difference, 97.9 WHAV wants you.
WHAV, the only Haverhill-based news source, seeks enthusiastic, creative and disciplined on-air underwriting and web advertising account executives. Account executives are responsible for developing and supporting WHAV’s radio/digital/non-traditional sales and development strategy.
Prior sales experience is desired. Some training will be provided, as necessary. Experience with HubSpot Sales CRM a plus. Receive a generous and above-average commission rate and opportunities for growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prospect, set appointments and close
- Write effective underwriting announcements and Web copy, and obtain underwriter’s approval
- Renew existing accounts prior to expiration
- Maintain database records
- Ensure on-time payments
- Self-motivated and results oriented
- Valid driver’s license.
- An acceptable motor vehicle and willingness to travel locally
- Basic understanding of computers
- High level of effective communication and inter-personal skills
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- If you’re passionate about the community and believe in local media and an informed society, this is the job for you.
To be considered, use the form below to send introductory cover note and resume.