Interior damage at a 21 Wood St., Groveland home. (Courtesy photograph.)
A candle is being blamed for a two-alarm fire that caused $40,000 worth of damage Tuesday to a Groveland home.
Groveland Fire Department received a report of the fire at 11:30 a.m., at 21 Wood St., from a neighbor, said Fire Chief Robert Lay. The damage displaced the home’s occupants, but no injuries were reported.
“Crews did a nice job today getting to the fire quickly and preventing extension and significant structural damage,” Lay said. “The fire was contained to the room of origin with heavy smoke damage to most of the structure.”
Upon arrival, firefighters on Groveland’s Engine 1 and Georgetown Ladder 1 saw fire and smoke coming from the second floor of the one-and-a-half-story story, log cabin-style home. A resident was home, but escaped safely.
Firefighters entered the home, attacking the blaze on the second floor. The fire is believed to have started in a bedroom. A second alarm was called for additional manpower. The West Newbury and Haverhill Fire Departments, along with Trinity EMS, arrived on scene to assist while the Boxford and Merrimac Fire Departments covered the Groveland fire stations, Lay said.
Firefighters extinguished the fire, which had spread into the hallway, by noon, but remained on scene until 1:30, ventilating and overhauling the interior.